Sunday, September 20, 2009

Squirrels

Mid-afternoon on Saturday I heard a bunch of racket coming from the backyard--it sounded like some birds fighting...or something really strange. It wasn't until a couple hours later that I noticed the neighbor's dog staring into our yard from the other side of the fence that I thought I better investigate. I found three tiny baby squirrls that had fallen from their nest in the tree. I called Bill's Wildlife Rescue and they informed me the mom should return (usually within two hours) unless she intentionally pushed them out of the nest. By early evening they still hadn't been rescued by their mom so I convinced Darren (it took a lot of coaxing) that we should put them in a box in our garage just for the night and return then under the tree in the morning. I was in the process of making up a box with a heating pad and some old t-shirts of Darren's when the mom returned and started making a lot of noise when she noticed her babies were missing. She then came running down the tree and proceded to scoop each one up individually and brought it back to the nest. I was very relieved. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with three squirrels if the mom hadn't shown up...we can barely take care of 2 kids and two dogs. I can't imagine how crazy life would be if we had to care for three baby squirrels too!


No comments: